FOODS THAT REDUCE GYNECOMASTIA – DIET
Man boobs, unnatural breasts on a man, are the result of one of two conditions: Gynecomastia, abnormal glandular breast tissue on a man, is caused by a hormonal imbalance and pseudogynecomastia is the result of chest fat on a man who is overweight or obese.
It is possible to suffer from a combination of both conditions and have glandular breast tissue made worse by layers of fat.
Following a healthy diet and making smarter food choices can help battle both conditions. Identifying and avoiding foods that increase female sex hormones and characteristics will help control or, at the very least, reduce man boobs caused by estrogens and foods that mimic estrogens.
A gynecomastia diet identifying and eliminating foods that increase your body fat will reduce man boobs caused by body fat accumulation.
Both approaches will require a man to make lifestyle changes involving diet and exercise to reduce risks and contributing factors as well as learning to make healthy choices. Keep in mind the ultimate goal of curing gynecomastia caused by diet includes four parts:
- Identify and ADD foods that increase testosterone;
- Identify and AVOID foods that increase estrogen or mimic estrogencausing man boobs;
- Identify and ADD foods that provide energy while decreasing body (and chest) fat;
- Identify and AVOID foods that are adding layers of fat and increasing the size of your man boobs.
Foods That Increase Testosterone
Testosterone peaks at about age 18, levels until about age 30, and begins a gradual decline until age 50 and then declines swiftly. A man needs this hormone to balance the effects of estrogen which is responsible for influencing female traits – including breast tissue. As your level of testosterone declines, your estrogen level is increasing.
Foods do not contain testosterone, but you can influence and promote your body’s production of this androgenic male hormone by eating foods that contain the ingredients necessary for its production. Simply eat foods containing the basic ingredients your body needs to make testosterone and it will.
Start with cholesterol. Despite its bad rap, cholesterol is a vital and essential food ingredient. It promotes healthy brain function and the health of neurons. Cholesterol is a precursor, a necessary forerunner for all of your sex hormones, and this includes testosterone.
It is the ingredient your body needs most to manufacture natural testosterone and can be obtained through eggs, meat, poultry and full-fat dairy products.
Your body will use this cholesterol as the base for testosterone and combine it with two nutrients that are beneficial to testicular health and testosterone production.
Zinc: The mineral zinc is important in testosterone production yet many adults over 60 have very low zinc levels. Increased zinc levels are directly related to increased free testosterone. Choose natural sources first, but supplementation is also beneficial. Sources of zinc include:
- High protein foods like meat, poultry and fish;
- Dairy, and especially raw milk and cheeses;
- Beans, chickpeas, lentils, nuts and seeds;
- Fermented foods, yogurt and kefir;
- Fortified breakfast cereals as a last choice.
Vitamin D: Vitamin D is vital in the production of sperm cells, maintains semen quality and sperm count and increases testosterone. Sources of Vitamin D include:
- A healthy amount of sun exposure;
- Tuna, mackerel, and salmon;
- Foods fortified with vitamin D, like milk, orange juice, and cereals;
- Egg yolks.
Foods That Increase Estrogen or Mimic Estrogen
There are several foods that contain trace levels of estrogen and many more that contain phytoestrogens that mimic estrogen, most of the following foods should be avoided.
- Commercial dairy products. Dairy cows are pregnant or lactating and pass many hormones through their milk. Once that milk production slows, it is easily stimulated by the dairy farmer and hormone injections of estrogens, also passed along to you in milk and any products made from that milk like cheese or yogurt.
- Commercial beef, pork and poultry. Beef and pork in a packing plant, and chickens and turkeys are also treated with hormones and force fed GMO grains to increase meat production.
These hormones, including estrogen, are passed on to you through their meat. Choose organic, free-range and grass fed meats and poultry if possible. This holds true for eggs as well, as antibiotics and hormones can passed to you through eggs.
- Soy and Soy Products. Soybeans are rich in protein and isoflavones, but they also contain phytoestrogens and a host of unhealthy additives. Soybeans and soy are a very big business, and soy or soybean oil are in virtually every commercial product on the grocer’s shelf today, from cookies to salad dressing.
Many foods that are “fortified” with protein contain soy proteins rather than whey proteins. Soy is force fed to every animal in commercial operations to promote weight gain and the ill effects may be passed to you through the meat.
Soy is genetically modified (GMO), mimics estrogen, contains unhealthy hemagglutinin, goitrogens, phytic acid, and the isoflavones genistein and daidzein that affect estrogen receptors. One to two glasses of soy milk a day for 30 days will cause changes in menstrual cycles in women and are the primary cause of breast tissue in men.
- Fatty, High-Carb Processed Junk Food. Fast foods, junk foods and prepackaged foods high in fat, processed flours and added sugars and corn syrups will increase estrogen and inflammation and add layers of body fat. Burgers, fries, and shakes do not build healthy bodies.
Sugars and corn syrup not used as energy are quickly converted to and stored as body fat. Sugar also causes huge swings in blood sugar and insulin causing a release of many other hormones, including cortisol which promotes inflammation and additional fat and fluid storage.
High levels of insulin block the production of testosterone, increasing your risk for man boobs from both gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia.
Make Healthier Food Choices
Choose a variety of healthy foods that increase energy, promote hormone balance and help maintain a healthy body weight and body fat level. Each high fiber small meal and snack in your gynecomastia diet should include lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fatty acids.
These food choices will increase your energy levels and allow you to build strength and lose fat as you exercise to reduce your risk for obesity, a major contributing factor to man boobs.
As your body oxidizes or burns the macronutrients you consume like fat, protein and carbohydrates, it produces the energy needed to pump blood through your veins or pump iron in the gym. Your body’s metabolism controls the rate at which you burn food, or fuel, and turn it into energy.
To maintain energy levels your body must constantly metabolize the food you eat and create that energy. Eat too little and you have little energy, eat too much and that food is stored as body fat for future energy use.
To lose weight (and man boobs) while maintaining energy, it is best to balance your food intake and allow your body to metabolize what you eat rather than store it as fat.
While sugar provides quick energy, that energy is short lived. Complex carbohydrates and lean proteins are metabolized more slowly and give you stable, longer lasting energy without the highs and lows associated with sugar.
Foods like olives, avocados, nuts, and seeds provide healthy omega-3 fatty acids that, when metabolized, provide a longer lasting energy effect than sugar.
If you are often too tired to exercise and get rid of man boobs, a few simple changes to your diet can make all the difference. Start by avoiding sugary foods, sweets and colas as they contain only empty calories with no real nutritional value.
You are eating extra calories with no benefit to your body. Sugar and sweets are physically and emotionally addicting; it is a difficult addiction to break, but if you eat healthier foods that are higher in lean protein, omega-3 fats and complex carbohydrates you will experience more energy, lower body fat and move in the right direction to cure your gynecomastia and eliminate your man boobs.
Food is fuel. Stop thinking of food as a treat or reward; think of food as fuel, the energy you need to exercise, burn layers of chest fat and eliminate man boobs. You can still enjoy what you eat, but try to take eating and diet planning a little more seriously, more business than just pleasure.
If your world centers around food, the chances of you eating the wrong foods are very high. Save the sweets for rare splurges and very special occasions (after the man boobs are gone).
Eat more healthy fats. Healthy fats include polyunsaturated fats and fatty acids including medium chain triglycerides. These fats and oils are valuable in building testosterone levels in the body.
Foods that are rich in healthy fats and fatty acids include olives and olive oil, nuts and nut butters, avocados, grass fed meats, raw pecans and almonds, real butter, egg yolks, coconut and coconut oil. Adding these foods to your diet can help improve your waistline and testosterone level.
Plan your meals in advance. Planning your meals saves time, helps you plan your shopping for the healthy ingredients you need for your meals, and most importantly, it prevents those last minute trips through the drive-thru or pizza deliveries. You may think that you are too busy to plan meals at first, but it is well worth the time and effort and will soon become a healthy habit. Here is a simple sample plan:
- Breakfast: 1/4 cup steel-cut oatmeal with 3 organic, cage-free eggs.
- Midday Smoothie: 2 scoops of your favorite isolated whey protein, 8 oz. almond milk, 1 banana and 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and maca powder.
- Lunch: 6 oz. grilled free range chicken breast, 3 cups kale (or dark leafy greens) with 4 avocado slices and homemade vinegar and olive oil dressing.
- Midafternoon Smoothie: 1 scoop of rice protein, 8 oz. rice, almond or coconut milk, 1 banana, and 1 tbsp. each of almond butter and maca powder.
- Dinner: 8 oz. wild salmon with a medium baked potato and 2 cups of steamed broccoli.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Eat smaller and more frequent meals. To help manage body fat and ultimately reduce or eliminate breasts, eat three smaller meals and one to two snacks between each throughout the day. Eating healthy foods for gynecomastia in smaller meals but more frequently will help control hunger, and you’ll be less likely to make unhealthy food choices. You will also stabilize your blood sugar and prevent sugar and insulin swings;
- Practice portion control. Serve your smaller, healthier meals on smaller plates and in smaller bowls. Avoid serving meals family or buffet style and avoid seconds. Eat more slowly, as it will allow your body to sense when you are full before you eat past that point. Don’t eat directly from the bag, box or package; control the size of your serving, or eventually 1 bag will become 1 serving;
- Drink more water. Drinking 8 oz. of water before a meal or snack will help you feel fuller sooner and eat fewer calories. Drinking water will reduce the number of calorie-packed sugary unhealthy drinks you consume like colas, bottled juices and frappuccinos. Water will aid digestion and help flush toxins out of your body. Staying hydrated will also reduce the frequency of constipation and headaches;
- Avoid distractions. People who eat in front of the television eat more than those who focus on their food and conversation. Distracted and hurried eating leads to poor choices and higher calorie consumption. You will be tempted to visit the drive thru or pick up a pizza. Mindful eating, focusing on your meal, forces you to eat more slowly and truly see what you are putting in your body, eventually leading to lower calorie intake and choosing healthier and more natural foods;
- Avoid or limit alcohol. Beer and alcohol are packed with calories. Additionally, according to the Journal of Pharmacology, alcohol suppresses plasma (free) testosterone, upsetting the testosterone to estrogen balance. The increased calories from alcohol can add fatty tissue to your chest, especially in men who are already at risk for gynecomastia. If you are a beer drinker, you should know that the hops can be converted to estrogen by your body;
- Avoid marijuana. Heavy marijuana use through smoking or ingestion affects your male reproductive hormonal system. The THC in cannabis suppresses testosterone production and greatly increases the estrogen estradiol, the primary female sex hormone. Additionally, your munchies will increase your calorie intake and weight gain leading to both gynecomastia and pseudogynecomastia.
Gynecomastia is caused by too much estrogen and too little testosterone. This hormonal imbalance can be corrected by a healthy Diet for Gynecomastia or Man Boobs Diet that eliminates the estrogen sources and increases the raw ingredients your body needs to produce testosterone.
Pseudogynecomastia is a result of stored body fat. Better food choices and following a healthy Diet for Gynecomastia or Man Boobs Diet will reduce your fat levels – goodbye man boobs!